Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Keeping Baby Socks from the Dryer Monster


So you know how you always lose socks in the laundry. No one's sure exactly what happens...but there always seem to be a few less when you're done than you had when you started. This is especially true with those teeny-tiny baby socks. Well, one day, I had an epiphany (which I know that others have had as well, but I had this epiphany before I was even reading other "Mommy" blogs, so it was original, if not unique, in its origins).
Why not use one of those "delicates" bags to wash the socks in? I mean, everyone knows that the Dryer Monster has better things to do than to bother unzipping one of those bags, just for a tasty snack. I mean, seriously, there's _bound_ to be someone next door with loose socks for the taking.
So, knowing that the socks were safe from the Dryer Monster, I then moved on to the next epiphany. Why not keep the bag on the changing table in between washes? That way, when the socks come off, they go right into the bag and the House Gremlins can't take them and stash them under the couch or _in_ the couch or in any number of other hiding places.
But, even though I had a foolproof plan, I knew that, occasionally, things don't go according to plan and there was a small chance that the House Gremlins would succeed in hiding socks. So there was the third epiphany. Any time I couldn't find a sock, the loose one would go in the bag and stay there until its mate returned. Sure, a colored sock might fade a little in the multiple washings, but at least they'd find each other in the end. Plus, most of our socks are white, so it really wasn't a big deal. And the House Gremlins _always_ give up their prey _eventually_ (it might be when you move, but you always get the stuff back...someday).
So if you're looking for a way to defeat the Dryer Monster and House Gremlins in their search for your socks, try this out. It's easily adaptable for larger people too. Just buy a bag for each person and keep it near the spot where the socks usually come off. You might need to further refine for socks of color, but I'm sure you can make it work (laundry is the only place where segregation is ok).
So that works for me. For more ideas, check out Rocks in My Dryer.

6 comments:

Hillary (Mrs. Einstein) said...

That's what I do! Or, at least what I mean to do.

Great idea! Works like a charm!

Amy said...

I did this when my daughter was little... great minds think alike! I had one washable bag in the dirty clothes basket and one of clean socks in her drawer.

Amy said...

I did this when my daughter was little... great minds think alike! I had one washable bag in the dirty clothes basket and one of clean socks in her drawer.

Susan said...

Wonderful! I have a real problem with the sock monster. My German husband and family think I am crazy and never heard of such a problem. Thanks for the tip.

Karen Hossink said...

Just buy a bag for each person and keep it near the spot where the socks usually come off??? But my son doesn't have a usual spot! His socks are on the steps, in the hall, under the couch, even in the van. Yes, he makes life much too easy for the house Gremlins! LOL

Anonymous said...

This is a very elaborate sock system. Much more elaborate than mine: While folding socks make a pile of socks without matches. Throw said pile in corner. Every once and a while go through pile and look for matches.

You can just call me Martha Stewart.