Saturday, August 28, 2004

Little Women

Well, up until yesterday, I'd read the first part of "Little Women" (the part up to where Beth gets well, their dad comes home, and Meg gets engaged). I knew that Beth's death was impending and that that section and those following should be read as a group, if for no other reason than to reduce the number of times I'd cry, so I spent yesterday reading the second part of Little Women in its entirety. As usual, I began crying as Beth and Jo talk at the sea shore (where Beth tells Jo that she knows she's going to die), and pretty much didn't stop until the end.

I've read the book probably close to a dozen times now, but it still makes me bawl, and each time I learn a little more, I think. The girls' mom and dad are two of the wisest people that exist in all of bookdom. There are so many practical lessons taught by loving words and examples throughout the book.

I also finished up the collection of Robert Burns poems yesterday. I just _really_ enjoyed them. I've also got collections of Wordsworth and Keats, so we'll see if I enjoy _poetry_, or if I only happen to like Burns. I remember reading it in middle and high schools, and some of it I liked (I had Wordsworth's "Daffodils" memorized at one point - for an assignment, but it wasn't something I _hated_ doing), but I don't remember feeling especially drawn to any of it, not like I'm enjoying it now.

It makes me wonder if I've always liked these things and been afraid (or reticent) to admit it because it was girly, or if I just didn't realize that I really liked it because I was too busy doing other things.

No comments: