Thursday, October 14, 2004

The International Language

One of the many books I've been reading "on the side" since I've been here is one entitled "The 50 Greatest Love Letters of All Time," Edited by David H. Lowenherz. I've still got 8 more to go, but I wanted to share my two favorite ones (so far) with you. Maybe it's just that these are two of the most recent, so the sentiments are more what I'm used to hearing and appreciating, maybe it's that I know more about these authors (and recipients) than I do about most of the others, but I think it's because these are the two sweetest. Anyway, my two favorites are letters from former presidents George H. W. Bush and Ronald Reagan to their respective wives Barbara and Nancy (although in Pres. Bush's case, they weren't married yet).

First, from Fmr. Pres. Bush:

Dec. 12, 1943

My darling Bar,

This should be a very easy letter to write - words should come easily and in short it should be simple for me to tell you how desperately happy I was to open the paper and see the announcement of our engagement, but somehow I can't possibly say all in a letter I should like to.

I love you, precious, with all my heart and to know that you love me means my life. How often have I thought about the immeasurable joy that will be ours some day. How lucky our childen will be to have a mother like you -

As the days go by the time of our departure [to fight in WWII] draws nearer. For a long time I had anxiously looked forward to the day when we would go aboard and set to sea. It seemed that obtaining that goal would be all I could desire for some time, but, Bar, you have changed all that. I cannot say that I do not want to go - for that would be a lie. We have been working for a long time with a single purpose in mind, to be so equipped that we could meet and defeat our enemy. I do want to go because it is my part, but now leaving presents itself not as an adventure but as a job which I hope will be over before long. Even now, with a good while between us and the sea, I am thinking of getting back. This may sound melodramatic, but if it does it is only my inadequacy to say what I mean. Bar, you have made my life full of everything I could ever dream of - my complete happiness should be a token of my love for you.

Wednesday is definitely the commissioning and I do hope you'll be there. I'll call Mum tomorrow about my plan. A lot of fellows put down their parents or wives and they aren't going so you could pass as a Mrs. - Just say you lost the invite and give your name. They'll check the list and you'll be in. How proud I'll be if you can come.

I'll tell you about the latest flying developments later. We have so much to do and so little time to do it in. It is frightening at times. The seriousness of this thing is beignning to strike home. I have been made asst. gunnery officer and when Lt. Houle leaves I will be gunnery officer. I'm afraid I know very little about it but I am excited at having such a job. I'll tell you all about this later too.

The wind of late has been blowing like mad and our flying has been cut to a minimum. My plane, #2 now, is up at Quonset, having a camera installed. It is Bar #2 but purely in spirit since the Atlantic fleet won't let us have names on our planes.

Goodnite, my beautiful. Everytime I say beautiful you about kill me but you'll have to accept it -

I hope I get Thursday off - there's still a chance. All my love darling -

Pappy
public fiance as of 12/12/43

And now from Fmr. Pres. Reagan:

March 4, 1981

Dear First Lady

As Pres. of the U.S., it is my honor & privilege to cite you for service above and beyond the call of duty in that you have made one man (me) the most happy man in the world for 29 years.

Beginning in 1951, Nancy Davis, seeing the plight of a lonely man who didn't know how lonely he really was, determined to rescue him from a completely empty life. Refusing to be rebuffed by a certain amount of stupidity on his part she ignored his somewhat slow response. With patience & tenderness she gradually brought the light of understanding to his darkened obtuse mind and he discovered the joy of loving someone, with all his heart.

Nancy Davis then went on to bring him happiness for the next 29 years as Nancy Davis Reagan for which she has received & will continue to receive his undying devotion forever & ever.

She has done this in spite of the fact that he still can't find the words to tell her how lost he woud be without her. He sits in the Oval office from which he can see (if he scrooches down) her window and feels warm all over just knowing she is there.

The above is the statement of the man who benefited from her act of heroism.

The below is his signature.

Ronald Reagan - Pres. of the U.S.

P.S. He - I mean, I love and adore you.

Leia talking again:

I guess my hope is that someday (preferably soon), I'll find a guy who feels that way about me. Heck...at times, I'd settle for about a quarter of that....and sometimes I think I've gotten hard-boiled enough to go through with "settling," but really, in my heart of hearts, I don't think I ever actually could. Dude's gotta be crazy about me or it's not worth the trouble. Heh...it might also help for him to simply be crazy.

No comments: